Melker of Sweden was founded 2015 in Hammarö by local serial entrepreneur, innovator and designer Pelle Stafshede, with the bold ambition to completely game change the outdoor hardware industry.
An interplay between the environment, ethics and economy is strategically important to us – making it possible to make a real difference.
We see our innovation, design, research and development as a long-term investment for our company, coming generations and the great outdoors. Making the best products is crucial for saving the planet.
We know that all business activities generate environmental problems - from powering computers to shipment overseas. Our sustainability work is an ongoing process where we continuously make improvements throughout our business practices and share what we’ve learned with others.
Our core values also include having a great time - making sure that we always do what we love together with friends, family and partners sharing our philosophy.
Staying true to our philosophy makes it possible for us to create a successful business we are proud to run and work for.
From bamboo to recycled fish nets & flax fiber
Our mission is to find out how we can serial produce top quality kayaks as sustainable as possible. In our journey we have tried everything from bamboo to used coffe bean bags. Right now we believe flax fiber is the best alternative when it comes to quality and sustainability but who knows what the next big thing is?
- 2015 - Melker was founded by Pelle Stafshede together with Jonas Ernfors in Sweden with the goal to build the best looking kayaks in the world, as sustainable as possible. The featured model were Melker Väderö in bamboo composite. The production were made in the Koga factory in Poland.
- 2016 - The launch of Melker Ulvön and Melker trossö. Melker make it to Germany and start to expand in Europe. Melker Ulvön is nominated to Design S awards and Outdoor product of the year in sweden. Our research within big scale 3D-printing with wood fiber starts.
- 2017 Melker Örskär is launched and our kayaks are now in stores all over Europe. Unfortunatly the output quality from the polish factory have started to falter.
- 2018 -Our playboat Melker Rödlöga reaches the market and wins the price "Coolest gear of the show" at paddle expo. Melker Ulvön is awarded with German design award. We move the production to World of kayaks in Estonia. In the transition we also start working with Flax Fiber instead of bamboo.
- 2019 - Is the year when we take a step back from the international markets to focus on the products & the quality. Jonas Ernfors steps down and Emil Gyllenberg takes his place. Melker Trossö is discontinued in production and the kayaks built in flax reach the market with great succes in Sweden. We also ship our first container to Canada.
- 2020 - We start a colaboration with Zegul kayaks and take over the operation side of their brand store in Stockholm Sweden. The goal is that we together will have an experience center in Stockholm that showcase Melker & Zegul and give you the possibility to try the kayaks on the water. The partnership also results in that Zegul start to produce the Melker kayaks. We do a big due dilligence and the outcome is even better quality.
- 2021 - Covid have the result that we still mainly focus on the home market Sweden. We produce the first version of the Melker Arkö paddle in a limited series of 100 pcs. A lot of time and effort is spent in building the brand store and experience center in Stockholm. A new research project is started with the goal of creating a fully biobased composite with at least the same or better specifications as a fiberglass composite.
- 2022 - The first Melker kayaks reach USA and are available through paddling warehouse in chicago. The 3D printing takes a giant leap and we are able to produce the first ever fully 3d printed unibody full sized kayak. And it is made out of woodfiber mixed with recycled ocean plastic.
The biocomposite results in a laminate that is light and stiff and almost 80% biobased.
- To be continued
We are in business to make a difference - having a great time doing it
One of the most important factors in our filosofy is that we believe that you need to love what you are doing and have fun doing it. By keeping true to that we know that we will continue to develop as a company in a sustainable way.